- In addition to being bald and bearded, Max is addicted to pain killers.
- That pain killer addiction will affect gameplay.
- The game is set in Sao Paulo, Brazil, with battles in “urban ghetto” locales.
- “Fully destructible environments” and a cover system are in.
- Bullet Time is now “more visceral and ultra-violent.”
- Online multiplayer is in, but no details.
- Powered by Rockstar’s RAGE technology
- The cover system is “not the focus of the game,” writes Game Informer, with Rockstar’s Rob Nelson noting that “the way that you experience this world isn’t just take cover, shoot, and move to the next piece of cover.”
- “We took all the elements of traditional Max and expanded it out so the game becomes gun ballet, or gun-fu, or whatever you want to call it,” added Nelson.
- Max Payne 3 is set 12 years after the events of Max Payne 2.
- Max is a broken man, and now works in private security for a wealthy family. He moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil to escape the demons of New York.
- Many objects in the game are destructible, such as crates.
- Max can now use human shields.
- Rockstar used scanning equipment to help capture the real-life feel of the Sao Paulo ghettos, which apparently caused some issues getting through customs.
Max Payne 3 will be coming Ã‚Â to PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 winter 2009