The 4-year-old Xbox 360 has long seemed targeted at hard-core gamers, with a controller that could be intimidating.
“For lots of people, that controller is a barrier,” says creative director Kudo Tsunoda. “We set out to make a new control paradigm where anybody can get in and play, without having to read the instructions or learn a complicated set of controls.
Also a list of this year’s Kinect titles were released:
- Kinectimals features over 20 different virtual pets, including lions, tigers, and cheetahs, to play with or raise.
- Joyride has returned to life as a controller-free racing game, apparently.
- Kinect Sports will offer sport games to play: “boxing, bowling, beach volleyball, track and field, soccer and table tennis.” For each one, you will make motions to play the games.
- Kinect Adventures has a river raft and obstacle course to navigate — this is likely the demo we saw last week.
- MTV Games will release Dance Central, where you can cut a virtual rug.
- And there will be more games announced later featuring both Disney characters and Star Wars characters, in conjunction with Disney and LucasArts, respectively.